Swedish Coach Janne Andersson Reveals Why He Snubbed Super Eagles

E

Ernest Victor

Janne Andersson

Former head coach of the Swedish national team, Janne Andersson, has revealed that he rejected the Super Eagles of Nigeria coaching job because the offer didn’t feel 100 per cent right with him.​

Andersson was among the coaches considered for the vacant Super Eagles managerial position earlier this year. Despite reportedly being the top candidate for the job, the 62-year-old coach revealed that he turned down the offer due to certain aspects of the contract proposed by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

In an interview with Swedish newspaper Hallandsposten, Andersson disclosed that while there were many appealing aspects to the opportunity, the overall situation didn’t feel perfect to him.

He said, “Nigeria was very persistent and wanted me to take the job. There were many appealing aspects, but the overall situation wasn’t perfect. It didn’t feel 100 per cent right, and it has to feel that way for me to fully commit.”

He added, “It would take a lot for me to take on a new coaching job. I am selective and have other things going on, like mentorship and board roles.”

Note that the Super Eagles are currently under the tutelage of Nigerian tactician Augustine Eguavoen in an interim capacity. Since his appointment, he has recorded a win and a draw in the 2025 AFCON qualifiers.

At 5 p.m. later today, the Super Eagles will battle with Libya in the third game of the 2025 AFCON qualifying series at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo, Akwa Ibom state.

The post Swedish Coach Janne Andersson Reveals Why He Snubbed Super Eagles appeared first on Naija News.

Back